The Cradlerock Children’s Center program operates on The Creative Curriculum. This curriculum applies the latest theory and research on best practices in teaching and learning, with content standards developed by states and professional organizations. This program balances both teacher-guided and child-initiated learning, with an emphasis on responding to children’s learning styles and building on their strengths and interests.
At each stage, our teachers provide the building blocks necessary to build the skills and tools appropriate for your child’s development.
Pre-K Curriculum for Four- and Five-Year-Olds:
In our pre-kindergarten classroom, the curriculum is a comprehensive early literacy program designed for use with preschoolers and is approved by the Maryland Department of Education.
- Teaches concepts and skills associated with oral language and literacy, including alphabet knowledge, early writing, and phonemic awareness
- Supports language skills that reinforce vocabulary and strengthens conversational exchange
- Builds mathematical knowledge, concepts, and skills as a foundation for later mathematical competence
- Supports a sense of competence that involves exploration, discovery, and imaginative play
- Addresses the Maryland Model of School Readiness (MMSR) standards in content and procedure
Our lead Pre-K teacher holds a four-year degree in Early Child Education and Special Education with a Master’s Certificate in Early Intervention.
Preschool Curriculum For Three-Year-Olds:
The three-year-old program is designed to prepare children for the academic and social demands of school. Teachers focus on building verbal, social, emotional and cognitive skills in preparation for Pre-K.
The Creative Curriculum for “Threes” uses multi-disciplinary teaching methods, which include:
- Expansion on language skills to develop vocabulary
- Daily lessons in phonological awareness, alphabet recognition, print, and oral language
- Weekly lessons in social studies, science, math, and music
- Activity and learning centers that encourage social and emotional development
Infant, Toddler and Two-Year-Old Programs:
Our infant, toddler and two-year-old programs are rooted in the Creative Curriculum as well as Maryland’s Healthy Beginnings Initiative, which emphasizes that children learn best when they are actively engaged in the processes of creating and exploring the world around them. Our child-centered syllabus is based on the understanding that the child is the primary focus of the educational experience.
Caregivers for Toddlers (18-24 months)
- Balance child-directed and teacher-directed activities
- Provide and rotate materials that encourage exploration
- Engage children in activities drawn from the child’s interests
- Focus on pre-reading skills through reading and language development
- Provide a nurturing community that models and teaches caring and friendship
Caregivers for Infants (6 weeks-18 months)
- Establish predictable routines
- Talk, read, and sing to your child
- Encourage safe exploration and play
- Provide warm, loving and responsive care
- Recognize & celebrate each child’s unique qualities and background
- Build strong relationships with parents through ongoing communication
- Assess each child’s development and growth by observation and developmental checklists
Cradlerock’s Special Enrichment Programs:
Spanish & ESL: We introduces children, ages 2-5, to simple words and key phrases to begin a dialogue in English and Spanish; colors, numbers, the alphabet and common phrases.
Sign Language: Sign Language is a key component in helping children build communication skills in the early years. At CCC, infants and toddlers are introduced to simple signs to help communicate their needs and emotions to others.
Music for Life: The music program introduces children, ages 2-5, to basic musical notes, instruments, international dance and various musical genres.